|Historic Ft. Lincoln
Ft. Lincoln Cemetery was named after Ft. Lincoln, which strategically protected the nationís capitol during the Civil War. Ft. Lincoln became the headquarters for the Second Pennsylvania Veterans heavy artillery. Men from this unit staffed Battery Jameson.
The remains of Battery Jameson are still visible near the Old Spring house. President Abraham Lincoln is said to have met there to discuss army strategy. The battery served to reinforce Ft. Lincoln which was located a short distance away in the District of Columbia.
Ft. Lincoln property consists of parcels of 3 early land grants: Scotland (1685), Barbadoes (1685) and Chillum Castle Manor (1763)). A few of these early land owners were Col. Henry Darnall, William Thompson, Richard Evans, William Diggs, Charles Carroll, the Barrister (relative of Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence), George Conn, John Veitch, his descendants, John. C. Rives, co founder of the Globe newspaper) and others.
As an early farm land, three events were to disturb this otherwise pastoral settings: 1) In 1792 a survey was made and the District of Columbia boundary marker NE No. 7 was placed. 2) Near this spot on Aug. 24, 1814, marines and flotillamen under the command of Commodore Joshua Barney fought a gallant stand against the British redcoats in the Battle of Bladensburg. 3) In 1861 after the bombardment of Ft. Sumter (the beginning of the Civil War) the property was seized by the United States Government for the location of Battery Jameson (named for Brig. Gen. Charles D. Jameson).
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres.
Here, at Ft. Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marbles, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil setting for those visiting the final resting places of their loved ones.
Information provided by Prince
Georgeís County Historical Society -1979
Powered by InterServer